Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Week 9: Podcasting

    I personally do not use podcasts, just because I have never needed to and never come across one that was that interesting. However, I think they can be useful for giving students that little bit more of access to information. My nine year old niece already has an iPod, so I know that students are becoming increasingly tech savy and having accessibility to it. Many students do not prefer to go online and read information, even if the teacher gives it to them. However, if they are able to listen to it on the computer, and even better, download it and listen to it anywhere, than they may be more motivated to actually utilize a resource!
    The one difference I see about podcasting from other Web 2.0 technologies is its portability, as mentioned earlier. Students (and teachers) would not just be limited to listening to a podcast at home on the computer, but they can download it during their down time and listen to it, say, while doing a workout or waiting for class. Also, another difference is the user-created aspect. The information that is being podcasted is not necessarily put their by some company or higher-up; anyone can make and share a podcast.
    I do own an iPad, but they are typically not compatible with PCs, the standard of most high-schools. I just use it as a replacement for a laptop, since I don't use one one the go that much. However, there are several great apps available to educators, like Dropbox and an Outline creator. There are also several specific purpose apps, such as ones about the US Constitution, the Solar System and Galaxy, and a Periodic Table. If I am not mistaken, there is a cable sold that lets you hook up an iPad to a data projector. I do not think I would use it in my math classes, as the only external resources I would need are already readily available (calculator and projector, internet access, etc.).  I do believer that the advantages of online communication tools outweight the disadvantages. I would rather have lots of information readily available and be able to share things rather than having to go to great lengths to get it.

References:

Jonassen, D., Howland, J., Marra, R., & Crismond, D.  (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology (3rd ed.).  Upper Saddle River, New Jersey:  Pearson Education, Inc.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podcasting does offer portability and I think this is beneficial for students like you stated. You made an interesting point about the advantages of communication that I have not thought about before. I just looked at it as more as a disadvantage because of not as much face to face interaction, but you made an interesting point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree information can be accessible to students on Podcasts all they need is to subscribe to a free website. Teachers could give students a subject and they could download shows in their convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Students are becoming more technologically advanced than we were at a young age. Kids now have a cell phone or iPod at the age of 5. I know my 2 year old son can work my iPhone with no problem. He gets what he wants with it. I can see how many of these Web 2.0 technologies will benefit teachers on learning how to use. But I do believe each student is different. Podcating will work for those students who are auditory learners but podcasting will not help the visual learners, like me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree that the information is readily available. It will be interesting to see where this type of technology heads to in the furture. I know personally that I cannot wait to use it in the classroom and also with my own children at home. The next time that they ask me for information about someone/something... we are going to see if there is a podcast on the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with pretty much everything you say.. I myself hope to teach math so alot of this technology seems a little far out there for a math class. Now if I was to go the science route, I think I would have more use in these apps and programs. Technology is being introduced into kids lives at a very very early age. I actually bought my 8 year old nephew an ipod last year for his birthday. Im not fully confident in all the ways of using or implementing podcasts but I am curious and would be interested in learning more!!

    ReplyDelete