Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chapter 10 Discussion

Assessment activities are a way to evaluate student progress. Authentic assessment Jonassen, Howland, Marra, & Crimsond, 2008, as defined in the text, “means that learners engage in educational tasks that are meaningful and directly related to real tasks they may need to perform in the future” (p. 219). As such, an effective way of assessing students which goes along with authentic assessment is by performance assessment (Jonassen, Howland, Marra, & Crimsond, 2008, p. 218), which assesses a student’s progress by having them perform or engage in what they have learned. While portfolios are a good way of evaluating progress and generating feedback, I don’t see as the most effective method for a math class, which I plan to teach. I would most likely use teacher-created (not multiple choice) tests to evaluate, then go through an in depth-review of it so students know where they went wrong. After all, math classes (especially high school ones) are meant to teach students things they will likely use in other math classes, not necessarily how to use it in real life.
                An e-portfolio is a collection of digital artifacts, which showcase a student’s progress throughout a period of time. They may include typed text, videos and graphics, and other types of multimedia. As portfolios are a great way to monitor and assess student progress, an electronic portfolio makes compiling different works easy and fun. The teacher can place criteria on the portfolio to meet any need, be it time or material. So, students are not only compiling their ideas and work, but in a form that benefits them to the digital age we live in. I am not a fan of computer based tests, considering they are essentially the same as non-computer-based ones. In fact, a computer based test is less effective than a normal one because it eliminates a lot of students’ thought processes and quite often supports luck. Even though I have never had an effective computer-based test, I can see the potential for them. After all, video games are becoming more interactive, so why shouldn’t tests.
                I do not think that I will be using e-portfolios or computer-based tests that much, if at all. I believe  that students need to be able to do certain things (like calculus and algebra) before they incorporate technology into it. In my math classes, we are not even allowed to use a calculator except for large, complex numbers and equations. As such, since math tests should NOT be multiple choice, I doubt I will use computer-based tests. After all, I want to see the students work out problems, not just be able to figure them out on the computer, or worse, guess right.
References:

Jonassen, D., Howland, J., Marra, R., & Crismond, D.  (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology (3rd ed.).  Upper Saddle River, New Jersey:  Pearson Education, Inc.

4 comments:

  1. Dustin,
    I can see how as a math teacher you view on this subject of assessment would differ from many of our own. It is very true that math students must be able to work out the problems and show their work in able to receive credit for their answers, so multiple choice tests would not be very effective. I do hope that you will be able to find ways to integrate technology into your classroom, though.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are the same Dustin, I dont believe that I will incorporate e-portfolio's or computer based test in my classroom. Certain technology takes away from the students learning that hurts them more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere there has to be a balance. I too hope to be a math teacher I feel that sometimes a computer can help get the point across. Last term I just could not understand what the teacher was trying to explain. Another student gave me a website to check out after viewing the web site I so got it. Our world is so technology based that if we do not try and use technology I feel we will only harm our students. However I agree students should be able to work simple problems without the use of technology. I have came across high school students that could not do simple division without a calculator. It is just how do we find that balance to provide the best education we can to our students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on computer based tests, everything is so high tech it takes away the thinking of students, they do need to work out the problems so teachers can see that they do understand the whole concept of what they are working on. I like the idea of e-portfolios so that the students can show off their work to the parents on special nights or the end of the year activities.

    ReplyDelete